Saturday, July 16, 2011

I squeaked in a PR and had fun! Big Sky State Games Half Marathon Race Recap

Yoohoo! To think a week ago I was sitting in the car crying with my left knee swollen, pretty sure I was not going to be running or even getting a PR today on the Big Sky State Games half marathon! 
I got up before the alarm went off this morning and fixed a bowl of oatmeal, peanut butter and chia seeds, drank a cup of coffee and 20 oz of water.  I read a few blogs then got dressed and headed out.

I picked up my race bib right when they set up, then headed to the porta potties.  I spent a few minutes chatting with some girls then headed out on a warm up run and did a few stretches.  Waffled between wearing my heavier, cushier more suppotive Asics Kayanos and my lighter, less cushy less supportive Saucony Fasttwitch shoes.  Decided to go with light and fast. It was a decision I didn't regret.  I just hadn't worn them on anything longer than a 10k yet.

With about ten minutes to go before the start I headed over to the start with Sarah Graves, who I knew was going to beat me without question.  that girl is so fast.  So fast.  The start was very unorganized and narrow.  The run was starting on a bike path.  The starter guy had us line up by how fast we were going to run and then Pow we were off!

Mile 1  7:24  I was working really hard to reign myself in.  I like to start fast!  It was a little hard to see all those people pass me, I just kept reminding myself to stick to the plan of  8ish minute miles to start with then kick it in for the end

Mile 2 7:43 Still working really hard to slow it down, but found this a good pace and decided to go with it.  The route was fairly flat slightly uphill still.

Mile 3 7:48 Feeling really good still.  Grabbed a glass of water at the first water stop.  Still being passed by a few guys. But no more girls. Course still fairly flat

Mile 4 8:07  Big hill, but feeling pretty good, legs starting to feel tired, breathing under control.

Mile 5 7:35 Slight downhill and decide to pick off someone.  I pass a girl in a cute orange shirt and never see her again.  I remember her, she went flying past me in the 1st mile when I was working hard to keep my pace down.  Starting to feel like this is going to be a good race.  I break open the GU chomps and have three.

Mile 6  7:59  Another big hill, but it felt good.  Getting excited about being nearly halfway done and feeling so good.  Picked off another girl and a couple of guys. Finally had some good shade.  We were running in the country club area.  The shade felt divine.  Felt good that everyone I passed was breathing laboriously and I had it under control!

Mile 7  7:22 Mostly all downhill, passed a lot of people.  Feeling good and I mean good!  Starting to think I could possibly PR

Mile 8 7:51 Back up the hill we just came down, ugh, but I was feeling strong and felt consistent going up.  Passed two guys with no shirts on, and one young guy running like an old man.

Mile 9 7:37  More down hill and some flat.  Feeling pretty good.  Wondering why I always think yay I only have three miles left when I see the 9 mile sign, then realize I really have 4 left.  Feeling good.  I can see two more girls up ahead.  Put my sights on the first one and keep running.  I notice my breathing is a little less under control, legs are starting to feel tired.  Eat some more chomps.

Mile 10 7:21  Feeling good and cruising down the hill, getting closer to the girl with the red shorts but still have a pretty good gap.  Wonder if I will catch her.  Pass another guy instead.

Mile 11 7:32  Feeling awesome.  I could do this all day.  Skipped the last water stop.  I still had water in my fuel belt chugged that instead.  Red shorts girl walked through the stop and I mentally checked her off the list and cruised on.  At this point I know that I can PR if I can maintain about a 7:40ish pace.  I want it so bad.

Mile 12 7:44  Hit the wall.  I felt like I was cruising, but my garmin told me otherwise.  The sun was really beating down, my legs were getting tired and I was going from hot to hotter.  Knew I probably was not going to pick off the girl 200 or so yards in front of me so I just tried to maintain and pull inspiration from anywhere I can think off

Mile 13 7:50 As hard as I tried could not lose the wall.  Legs were spent from the hills and I was so hot!  I wanted to jump in the ditch we were running by.  The last two miles were flat and straight.  Felt like I could see the finish line coming at me forever.  I really wanted the PR so bad, but was starting to think I was not going to get it.4

Mile 13.1 1:03 (7:20 pace)  Saw the big clock and knew I could PR if I just sprinted.  Didn't really sprint but I did PR!   Time was 1:40:56.  Old PR 1:41:22.  So not by much, but not bad for thinking I was going to have to bag the race earlier this week!    I brought my camera but not my memory card, so I don't have any pictures yet.  I will post them when I do. 

I ended up 3rd female overall and 3rd in my age group, 17/63 for men and women. That's right only 63 people total did the half marathon!  So a small one, but I loved the course hills and all except the last two miles when I hit the wall and my body was cooked from the hot sun shining down on me.

I stuck around for awards and had fun visiting with everyone then went and picked up the kids from my husband  where he was tending a friends farm and ranch supply store for the day.  The kids had a birthday party in town so there was no time for me to drive clear home and back.  Also seemed like a waste of gas, so I took them to Subway for lunch and Candytown for dessert.  My stomach was not in the mood for candy so it was pretty easy to get out of there for cheap.



Then we headed over to Kohls to find a birthday present for the birthday girl and get some clean clothes for my daughter and a t-shirt for my son.  I also awarded my self these awesome shorts. A PR merits new clothes or some kind of reward don't you think? 
They are much brighter in real life.  I almost had a matching tank.  A pretty snappy outfit. But I talked myself out of it.  It didn't look that great right up next to my face.  The neon yellow was arguing loudly with my hair.  Besides I have lots of other shirts that will do just fine.

 I did find these shorts and capris on the clearance rack for 80% off!  Yay, I was in need of new  summer clothes.


 And a tank for summer, pretty and sparkly!! 


Now that I have survived getting up at 4:30, running a half marathon, shopping with the kids, a 3 year old birthday party, Walmart and a blogpost that  seems to be going on forever, I am going to go take a shower and put my feet up. 

Looking forward to reading all the race reports from this weekend.  God luck to everyone who has races still to do.  Thanks for the playlist ideas I got some great songs added to the play list.

Tell me what you do when you hit the wall!

39 comments:

  1. Congrats on the PR. That kinda stinks that the 2 girls who finished ahead of you were also in your age group... tough AG! That's a super long day. You deserve some nice rest tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you flew by this. get it excited, a PR and you placed. you rocked this! i am so happy for you and it is so encouraging

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I totally agree that the PR (and the 1/2 in general) deserves a gift to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the PR! Awesome job!! I love the mile by mile recap:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats!!!! what a race and I am so impressed that you remembered everything..mile by mile..
    the wall and me we are friends...I hate it
    I hit it at both my half Marathons. first time at mile 11 I almost passed out, I had to walk..the second time I had to slow down a lot and I collapsed at the end. both times I ended up in the medic tent after crossing the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recap. What a memory you have!

    So happy that you had a good race and a PR at that! Yes, a reward was in order, for sure.

    Wahhooo for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Love your blog post. Love the new shorts :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice job girl!!!! I can't wait for you to PR again and great 1:40 haha.
    And...those shorts are awesome. I may have to steal them from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing job Chica!!!!! So happy for your PR!!! You worked hard, you deserve new clothes and rest!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the PR! That definitely deserves cute new clothes and maybe a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Congratulations! Way to go!
    Love the new outfits/clothing from Kohls! The tank is super cute!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW...awesome performance! When I hit a wall I use tell myself "I can do anything for 2 miles" and then when 2 miles passes I re-think how I'm feeling and usually I'm past the wall at that point, it usually works!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recap! You had a really fast age group! Pr definitely means new shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your PR! How do you keep track of your time each mile? I've got ,y Nike plus but Ican't keep track of my mileage that specifically I don't think

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on such a great time and PR! I love rewarding myself with clothes/shoes/food...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your PR! Also Congrats on being third female in your age group! I enjoyed your breakdown of each mile from your race. Very intersting and informative!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! What a great detailed race report!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats and great job on a great race! SO Glad your knee felt good. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You did amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huge congrats on the PR and on placing! You should be proud of yourself for racing so well even without the worries you had earlier in the week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job on your new PR!!! I also love it when I pass people, but alas, doesn't happen often for me :D

    Cute clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOO HOO! Congrats on the PR!! You are awesome and I am so proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - congrats on your PR! Great job!! (And I love that tank you bought!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic job out there girl! You rocked it!blocs that sparkly tank!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on the PR!!! That is so awesome. You did an amazing job pushing through those last few miles. Definitely merits a new outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations!!! That's a fabulous time! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats, speedypants! Great race!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on the PR. That is awesome! Definitely calls for new running shorts...and a few other things :)

    My min-race report

    Hotter Than Hades Virtual Half

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fantastic race!

    My main advice for hitting a wall is to deny that it's happening. I feel very strongly about the power of sheer denial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is great news - especially since you didn't know if you'd be running the race at all. Congrats on the PR and 3rd place age group win, too! Great clothing deals, too! Fun day!

    When a race gets really hard for me, I focus on someone ahead of me and tell myself to follow them. I'm especially grateful for runners who don't stop on uphills, which I wanted to do at least once at the recent Kona marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing! I am amazed by anyone that can run that fast *period*, let alone for 13 miles. You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations!!! You are amazing - a PR in this heat?! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, congrats on the PR! Amazing splits!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on the PR- great race report! I can never remember that many details from races!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats on the PR! It seemed like fitness wise you had a PR in you, but I didn't know if you were going to be able to run the race due to your knee. Glad that everything worked out, sounds like the race went perfect.

    Great job on reining yourself in at the start, that really pays off at the end, seems like you passed a lot of people near the end.

    It doesn't seem like you really hit the wall that bad, just seems like you slowed down just a tad. When I hit the wall, I just try to latch onto someone around me and follow them into the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congrats!

    That tank top is really cute.

    When I hit the wall I think about the tv show biggest loser and think, if they can survive that torture I should be able to push through the wall. Weird? Maybe. But it works for me!

    ReplyDelete

Because I love hearing from you all!